Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Infinity is my name

The last few days were quite eventful. We serviced the motors, crossed
into the Western Hemisphere, and currently 30nm south of St.Helena Island.
Made radio contact with them a bit earlier on and wished all the Saints a
prosperous and healthy 2014. It is the first time in over 20 Atlantic
crossings that I won't be stopping here. Our schedule just does not allow
it. But that is how it is, neither happy nor sad. Next time I visit I will
enjoy it that much more :) To my friends on St.Helena who is also on my
fb, great to see your rock in the middle of the ocean again.

This morning I decided to bake bread, and at 10am woke Stuart to come and
break bread with us. Also on the table we had Butro, Kerrigold butter from
New Zealand, Peanut Butter, Bovril, Illovo Maple syrup, mozzarella cheese,
Gouda cheese, apricot jam and ripe fig jam. Spoiled for choice the bread
did not last long, a few crumbs and a piece of crust remaining. Thibault
made coffee for us, and he had to stand and wait for the kettle to boil
while Stuart and myself were slicing thick slices of freshly baked bread,
sprinkled with sesame seeds. The kettle took a tad too long for Thibault's
liking and he soon was also indulging in the feast. Coffee could wait a
few minutes.

The wind is still very shy, but good enough to keep our dreamcatcher up
and flying. Been motoring for days now, and looking greatly forward to
sailing under sail only. It will come, it always does. In the meantime, we
have to keep up a reasonable average, hence motoring day and night.
Talking about the night, we have been watching Jupiter moving closer and
closer to the moon for the last few nights. Last night they were at their
closest and what a privilege to be out here and be witness to these cosmic
events. And with the waxing moon getting bigger and brighter every night,
it is rather dreamlike to watch the ghostly clouds drifting by. Sometimes
obscuring the moon but soon she slips out again and lays down her silvery
shiny track on the water ahead of us as she sinks to the west.

As a kid I can clearly remember laying on my back and watching the clouds
changing shapes and telling stories of a world as wide as your
imagination. A time of innocence, a time of confidence. Through all types
of indoctrination whether by school, church, politics and the society I
grew up in, I was led to believe that the things I knew as a child were
not important. It was more important to fit into a social system, to
believe that I was born wicked and a sinner and in need of salvation, to
take up arms against another political system. Now I realize all these
things were mostly just noise, an attempt to sidetrack me from my real
purpose in life. But they were all important, even vital, in forming who
and what I am. I thank each and every one of these institutions that shaped
me in a way. Personality, ego mind, intellect, emotions, they were all
shaped by my life experiences. I think the purpose of life for every person
is different. In fact, I know so. Our purpose in life change as we evolve,
so there is no absolute this or that is the purpose of life. Wouldn't it be
nice if we were all born with a deck of cards specifying our exact purpose
in life ........ I think not. I think that is what certain forces wants to
force upon us. Make us fit into the machine that runs the world as we know
it. A holy and sacred curiosity keeps us aware and alive and evolving.
Everywhere I go I see more and more people on their journey. There is so
much to say about travel. Ernest Hemingway said the purpose of travel is
not to reach a destination. The purpose of travel is to keep on moving. I
like. Sailing affords you that like nothing else can. We are not for a
moment in the same place, we keep on moving. For weeks on end. Then we find
an anchorage or marina where we linger for a day or two and there we go
again. Not everybody is in a position to travel or to sail, outwards that
is. But everybody is in a position to travel inwards. To lands unheard of,
to waters uncharted. To go deep into yourself and realize you are infinite.
You have been there before there was time and you will be there when time
is no more. The more and more you make inroads into your inner landscapes,
the more and more your wings will grow and the further and further you will
be able to travel. Destiny Infinity. All it takes is a dream :)

St.Helena is starting to fade into the distance behind us, ahead of us
2000nm of open ocean to the Brazilian coast. Hoping that the breeze will
freshen up a bit, the trade winds settle in and the currents conspire in
our favour.

Happy travels to you

P.S. After many days of asking her for her name at last our boat
whispered her name in my ear :-) Infinity

No comments:

Post a Comment