Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jacob's Ladder demands respect,ask Steven

It is three days since we left St.Helena and things are starting to ease
a bit.It has been overcast and rainy with fairly strong winds for what
seems like forever,but the sun does peek through every now and
then.Tonight the moon and stars are visible now and then.

Yesterday Steven called me to show me a fish chasing one of our
lures,quite an exciting experience to watch a chase like that.Not sure
what fish it was as we are trolling 30mtrs behind us and the sea is
fairly rough.He is still suffering fromn his hasty climb up Jacob's
Ladder on St.Helena.His left leg and knee is swollen and very
painful,too much exertion too quick.I know he will respect the Ladder
much more next time he looks up from the bottom and see 699 steps
towering above him.699 big steps they are as well.

We are about 9 days from Brazil and enjoying the powercat tremendously.I
have not had such consistently strong winds on any of my Atlantic
crossings before and can only smile at this twist of fate.On a sailing
vessel we would have been great miles without burning fuel.Who
knows,perhaps next time the wind will be kind enough to keep on blowing
when I cross on a sailing vessel.On my next delivery I will be
taking a boat to Tahiti late December early January.About 11 500 nm and
an estimated three months.The trip will once again take me through the
Panama Canal and halfway across the Pacific.

Flying fish have started making their appearance again in great
numbers,landing on deck at night.When we get a change to we normally try
and help them back into the ocean but a few go undetected and in the
morning we remove the unlucky ones.

My dearest wife had an unfortunate accident on Sunday.She got a nasty
bump on her head and went to the hospital as she was bleeding profusely
as one sometimes does with a head injury.She got three stitches and a
slight concussion.Through her latest correspondence it seems that she
now loves me much more than before.Once the wound has healed properly
she may love me less again,I hope not.I do wish her a speedy recovery
though.

Wishing you a tremendous Tuesday.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment