Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th

We are completely becalmed.Wonder if that is an oxymoron.The surface of
the water is mirrorlike,the proverbial calm before the storm.Not that we
are expecting a storm,but we are expecting strong weather to come in
from the south later this evening,25 kts and up.It should turn southeast
and we are trying to position ourselves to take the wind straight from
behind on our way to St.Helena.The strong weather should last for a day
or two and hopefully take us into the SE trade wind zone, a constant
wind speed and direction.

Last night Steven prepared a typical bachelors meal,potato bake with
corned beef, bacon, onions, cheese, potato and potato bake sauce. We
really climbed into it and only a small section was left over. No sliced
and canned peaches this time. We only had one of those courtesy of my
dear wife Lizette. My daughter Maryna has just started grade 3 and sounds
very excited about the year ahead. This is probably the only downside to
my occupation, being away from home for up to three months at a time. I
have been delivering yachts full time now for the last six years and as
a family we are somehow used to it. But I also know that I am missing out
on a lot with my daughter growing up.

She knows what her daddy does, she and my wife did a 7 000 nm journey
with me to Belize three years ago, and they both loved it thoroughly. Now
we sail in Durban every now and then and for fun we have a little
trimaran that we sail at the dams in Kwa-Zulu Natal.

Well, Friday the 13th, hopefully a fortunate day for you. Also ten days to
beginning of the Chinese New Year and this year it is the Year of the
Dragon again. And 2012 also being the end of the Mayan calender, ending on
21/12/12 according to most calculations. My mom's birthday this year is
12/12/12. She is the one that downloads and sends us the weather, carry us
in her prayers but won't allow my dad to come with me on a crossing...ha ha
ha.Then she will have to drive to the shop etc.

What the Mayan calender means we can only theorize about. Personally I
think it is the end of the industrial era and the beginning of an era where
human awareness will take on new dimensions. Much more about this down the
line.

Currently our position is 26*29'S/011*51'E.We are 180 nm west of
Luderitz,have covered 570 nm and 10 800 nm to go.Our ETA in Tahiti is
08/04/12.Let's see how close we get to this.As you can see,our journey has
just began.

It is Nic's turn to cook tonight and we will see what he will come up with.
Always interesting to see how the crew dynamics on board shapes.Nic has
already shown a lot of initiative ,a rather rare quality with new
crewmembers.Eduan is enjoying his time on the ocean and learning quickly
what is expected of him, Steven is his usual chirpy self and I am smiling,
thanks to my lovely wife, who always finds a way to ground me a bit.

A little nautical lore is that one never leaves on a Friday as it will bring
bad luck to you.This was from the days when the sailors of old got paid on a
Thursday and were pretty useless the morning after.I stick to this rule, just
in case.I have ignored it and I did get whacked.When Lady Luck and Murphy
gets together all types of things can happen.

Take care and thanks for keeping an eye on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment