Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fools for love

April 1st. Traditionally April Fool's day, wonder how that one started.
It is also the day my parents got married 51 years ago on 01/04/1961.
They lived through the 40's,the 50's, the 60's and onwards. Daddy was a
ducktail, Triumph Bonneville motorcycle and a lumber jacket with a tiger
on the back, mamma was a beauty queen. Rebels for sure, and look where
it got them. They have a right to say back in the day, these youngsters
today that uses that term have no idea what it means. I am proud beyond
words of their achievement, for my mom putting up with my dad so long
and for my dad putting up with my mom for so long. Today I announce them
saints, St.Christoffel and St.Caterina. Two April fools that got married
and somehow kept it together for so long, fools for love. Mom and dad,
you know I love you both endlessly, respect you both completely, admire
you both shamelessly.I thank you from all of me for your unwavering love
towards me and my younger brother, Arnold. I know we will both agree
that we have been blessed by having the best parents one could wish for,
and our wish for the two of you is continued health. You have taught us
that old age is not for sissy's, amongst many other things you have
taught us. WE SALUTE YOU.

It is going well with us out here on the Pacific. Our journey is drawing
to an end rapidly. Strong winds are pushing us ever faster and we are
only three days away from Fatu Hiva. From there another 5 days to Tahiti
which will mark exactly three months on the ocean. We had a little stop
every two weeks along the way, but the last leg was a month without
seeing land. You can imagine how the boys on board,myself included, will
appreciate land again once we set foot on it. I am used to it, extended
periods at sea and then making landfall. I know how it effects me. It is
in my blood and in my soul. Two of my crew have never experienced this
before, and they will soon find out that the sea is a most jealous lady.
They will be back on land for a few weeks and then the longing for the
wide open spaces will return.

With the stronger weather I was immensily proud of how the boys handled
themselves. I felt the wind picking up and the boat going faster and
faster. I got up to go and check out the situation and there was Nick
calmly and smoothly turning the boat a bit more away from the wind,
shadowing our headsail and preceded furling it in a bit to balance the
sails with the sea state and the wind speed. All I could say to him was
very well done. I went back to my cabin with a big smile on my face
knowing that he has learned a few things on this trip, including some
sailing skills. Eduard is doing just as well, taking charge of the
vessel and doing what needs to be done when he is on watch, always
willing and able. Steven is suffering a bit from what I think is a
muscle injury in his shoulder. He has expressed that he is mightily
looking forward to land again and feels he has had enough of the ocean
for now. He has been accumalating nearly 30 000 nm's over the last few
months but this has been a long trip, twice as long as our average
6000nm trips. He has weathered some storms with me and we both know that
he is ready to spread his wings a bit. He is also without a doubt one of
the best first mates I have ever had. After this delivery he will be
seeking a position on a superyacht and work his way up from there. If a
delivery comes his way he will take that as well. I am not saying cheers
yet, just saying that the boy has plans, experience and abilities that
will bode well for him in the future and I wish him only the very best.

For myself, I am also taking a bit of a break after this delivery. Three
months to spend with my wife and daughter and get a feel for what its
like living on land again. Become a part of their lives for a while and
looking greatly forward to see what the future holds for us. Our
position now at 8am by us and 6pm in SA is 08*46'S/129*42'W. We are
about 500nm from Fatu Hiva and about 1300nm from Tahiti. With the
excellent speed we are doing it is very likely that we will arrive at
Fatu Hiva in three days time and four days later at Tahiti. That will be
an amazing feat to arrive there at the 8th of April which was my ETA
when we started this trip three months ago. We only have to maintain an
average of 7.5 kts to achieve this and considering the amount of diesel
we have we may just crack it.

Hope you had an awesome weekend.

Paul, thoroughly pacified

1 comment:

  1. No words can ever express how humble we feel.
    The respect and love we have received from our two sons and now our lovely grand daughter makes every day of every year a goal achieved.
    Mistakes we have learned from a lesson we would like to leave as legacy. No one is perfect so give unconditional love.Blessed we are undeed.
    Much love and friendly greetings.

    ReplyDelete