Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tahiti......at long last.

About 20nm from the harbour entrance I was just thinking whether I should turn off the port motor and run the starboard when the port engine ran out of fuel. After accepting that I will have to go in on one motor , if we make it on that one motor we heard on the VHF another yacht that also just ran out of diesel and adrift. They were about 15nm and we were at that stage about 12nm out, they were three miles behind us. They were calling a fishing vessel for assistance and I immediatly made contact with the yacht. I informed them that we are very much in a similar situation and just idling along on our last few fumes of diesel on the one motor. I asked Steven to drain all the fuel out of the port tank so we can add that also to the starboard tank. The pipe taking the fuel to the motor does not reach all the way to the bottom as sludge eventually forms there after a few years. Our diesel was super clean and no problem. It took a while but we managed to drain about 3ltrs. I was rushing Steven to add the fuel to the starboard tank when the motor ran out of diesel as we were opening the fuelcap to add the extra diesel.. The yacht in distress informed us that they have ordered two 20ltr drums of diesel and as soon as they are sorted they will get to us and pass the other drum over to us. It was starting to get dark and an hour afterwards they were close. We discussed how we will do the transfer on the VHF. We got our motor running again with the last three liters. They requested us to disengage and just drift, they would come alongside and throw us a line. On the other end of the line they had the 20ltrs of fuel attched and the plan worked like a charm. They informed us that they are going to a different marina than what we were planning to do as one normally can't go in at the main harbour after dark as the airport is closeby and one has to get permission from the air and port control to enter. The planes take off and could easily dismast you if they are struggling to gain height after take-off. We split the 20 ltrs in two and had both motors running when we went into the channel. We owed them a drink or two for getting the diesel and delivering it as well. They had as they term it a delivery from hell. They left Mexico 33days before and everything that could go wrong with their boat went wrong. We tied up at 11:30pm and were just in time to catch the bar open. We had two drinks each and our debt was settled.

Afterwards we took a five minute walk, found a small 24hr supermarket. Ibought a roast chicken, two french loaves , mayonaise and a two ltr Coke. We got back to the boat and sat down having a feast at 2am. Soon afterewards we were sound asleep. About 7am we were awakened by the same couple, and another yachty had someone on the phone for me. I emailed our base manager the night before and informed her that where we were. She advised me to get back to the main harbour asap as we can only clear customs and immigration there. I took on another 20 ltrs as we were tied up right next to the fuel dock and I wanted the last run to be completely stress free as far as diesel was concerned. We left at 8am and at 9am I called Papeete Port Control and asked permission to enter the harbour. They gave us the green light and directed us to our berth. I went to a spot that we thought was the right place, right next to town, close to everything. Our agent arrived half an hour later and pointed us to the customs dock, a place close to nothing and nowhere.We moved the boat and half an hoiur later the base manager, Patricia arrived to do the handover. As it was 10:30 she advised that we first get the immigration behind us before they close for lunch. We did just that and an hour later we were sorted. We then started with the handover, and thanks to the crew the boiat was sparkling clean and we had very few minor problems to report. An hour later after a thorough inspection by Patricia we were done. We were in a bit of a rush as Steven and myself were flying out the next day, and any delay whatsoever will mean that we will miss our flights. Thankfully everything worked out fine.

We locked the boat and started the long walk to town to go and find a bar and something to eat, also to find banks open etc. We had mixed success but eventually got sorted. I told the guys we will have to get back to the boat early as I still need to pack and our taxi would fetch us at 3:40am. They made sure we got back early, early the next morning,about 2am to be exact. Being fairly tired I had to focus one more time, got my bags packed, had a quick shower and just had our luggage off the boat when the taxi man came walking to us, perfect timing. Eduard was fast asleep and we could say our final farewells., Nick stayed up and helped us get our luggage to the taxi. Soon Steven and myself were at the airport, a bit shellshocked but ready to catch some rest on our long flights home. He is heading for Paris and then a small hop over to Birmingham, I am at the moment in Tokyo waiting for my next flight to Dubai and work my way back to SA.

It was an extraordinary trip in many ways, and it had us in suspense till the very last. Thanks to the crew, their families, our office in Cape Town, my friends and family. Thanks for all the prayers, the good wishes, and being part of our adventure. Without the support of all of you our trip would have been not half as nice, and we appreciate all the mails we received regularly.It kept  the crews morale high. It was easy to share our experiences as we had no bad experiences. I will in the next few days select the 100 best photos of our jouney and will post them on a web album. Thanks for the emails received from everyone that want to be linked to the web-album, I will mail you as soon as I have got them sorted. It should not take longer than two weeks.

All good things come to an end, as all bad things also do. To Steven, thanks matey for the last nearly 30 000nm you sailed with me. I wish you all the best for the future. You are a star in many ways. To Eduard, I have invited him as first mate on my next trip if he should be available and not busy with something else. He has worked hard to deserve this invitation. To Nick, thank you very much for adding your special contribution to our journey as well. You are planning to travel some more and I wish you safe travels and awesome experiences. To my parents, thanks for all the support I always get from you, thanks for the weather mom. To my wife and daughter, I will be home soon. Planning to take a three month break and hoping to make the most of it.

And that's it folks. Email me at sailwithpaul@gmailif you haven't already and we will stay in touch for the web album and our next adventure.

Over and out

Captain Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment