Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A week at sea

It's been a week since we departed from Cape Town. We have logged 1050nm so far, at an average of 6.25kts. Yesterday it was time to rig the gennaker for the first time. Before long our white and blue kite was flying, and we were making miles merrily. AWS didn't exceed 12kts, but for various reasons we decided to douse it for the night shift. Furled out our genoa again and had a stress free night. Always a bit stressful to fly a downwind sail at night. Eventually we do it, and sometimes we get tested when a squall comes over and you have to bring it down in the dark early hours of the morning. It's been a long time since that happened to me, but the lesson still lingers. In settled trade conditions we happily fly it for a week non-stop, and radar technology also nowadays can warn you of some weather coming your way. 

A bit of a grey, overcast day here by us, although there are patches of blue appearing. Our fishing lures are out, you never know. Haven't seen any flying fish for a few days now, or dolphins or whales, or ships for that matter. Jane is feeling much stronger today, the ocean has settled nicely into a peaceful rhythm.

Which reminds me. Yesterday I checked out a new Spanish song for ukulele, and super chuffed that I could learn this truly beautiful piece of music in a day. Lots of time for things like this out at sea.
If you want to check out the particular song, YouTube Marco Cirillo Ukelele "Beautiful Spanish melody on ukulele". I normally take a long time to learn a new song, the ukulele is quite new to me. But what an expressive instrument it is turning out to be. Gifted to me by my high school sweetheart and dream girl, who is now also my wife. I have urged her to take up the Cajon drum. I prefer to sit and make music at night far more than sit and watch tv. Together we will have lots of fun and laughs and beautiful moments. And make some noise 👏🙌🎶

Every hour we are closi ng in on St. Helena. We should be arriving this weekend. Too far away to predict what time, but even if we arrive at night, we will tying up to a mooring bouy. I know the place well enough to do a night entry. Hopefully there will be a few other yachts that left a day or two before us, and it will be great to catch up and share our experiences.

I am attaching a picture of our first flight with our gennaker. The quality will not be good as I am sending it via limited broadband on satellite. But it should give you an idea of what it is like to be out here.

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday.

Until next time

Paul




Sent from Iridium Mail & Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment