Friday, April 23, 2021

Mysterious Moon

I usually do the 2am to 6am watch. Last night, as many times before, I got a little shock when I saw the yellow half moon on the horizon busy setting when I came up for my watch. Just that it was an unexpected and pleasant surprise, and anything on the horizon draws my attention immediately. Soon it was completely dark and all the stars came out to play. During my early watch hours, the moon is often my close companion, and we have a special bond. Whether waxing or waning, I always find it mesmerizing, sailing quietly through the sky. I should mention that I spend a lot of time out on the ocean with nothing but clear skies above me for thousands of miles around, and months on end. And naturally I ponder on these things in the sky.

It eventually dawned on me that the moon is absolutely essential for life as we know it on planet earth. Just as important as the sun. And through some research I have found that the exact size of the moon, the sun and the earth, and the distances apart, is in perfect balance and alignment to sustain life. The moon has a huge effect on water, and our planet is also known as the blue planet, and 70% covered by water. Our bodies consist 70% of water. The moon waxes and wanes, and tides roll in and out, and depending on the moon phase, the tides vary. Close to the equator there is not much tidal movement, places closer to the poles have huge tidal variations. It is in this intertidal zone that life on land first started. The area between the high tide and low tide. On the equinoxes during March and September these tides are at their highest and lowest levels. Continuous fluctuations. A whole nother world comes alive during these periods. Seaturtles come ashore to lay their eggs,
after
traveling thousands of miles around the ocean, to the same beach, same time. Gives a new meaning to see you next year same time same place. How do these gentle creatures navigate the oceans so flawlessly, and time it to perfection? In the forests other creatures and trees and plants also do their full moon thing.

From what I've learned, earth was apparently just a huge rock in the sky. It got whacked by a meteorite, which caused clouds to form, and from the clouds, rain. Until the whole planet was covered by water. Eventually the rain stopped and land started appearing. It is fascinating that one finds marine fossils on some of the highest mountains, far away from the ocean. Where and how marine life first formed I have not the foggiest idea. And then life on land formed. Where did the first algae that formed on land come from? From the sea I guess, and tentatively adapted to and thrived on dry and wet conditions. And all the other forms of life that followed. I hear the word evolution. But for anything to evolve, it must first exist. When one thinks of the huge variety and forms of life in the ocean and on land, it truly boggles the mind. It then would seem that all life must have started from the sea. And perhaps the reason why we are so attracted by it, at our deepest levels.

All these natural manifestations of life have a very close relationship with the the moon. I always love the sound of wolfs howling at the full moon. A lot of activity, both on land and in the ocean, happens during the full moon period. The moon also effects currents around the ocean. I noticed many years ago that at times it feels like you are sailing downhill, and at other times uphill. My feelings were confirmed as fact by a NASA study that shows how the moon orbits our planet, and the oval shape it creates in the ocean, shifting around as the moon shifts. And one literally is at times going downhill, and at other times uphill. So many things I don't know. And the more I know, the more I know how little I know.

We've been motoring for a day or so, and early this morning some clouds sailed in, and with that, also a bit of wind. At 3am I unfurled the genoa and motorsailing it was just holding shape, and a tad more speed. At 8am there was not much wind, but enough to rig our gennaker and set it perfectly to sail on a breeze. Switch the motor off, smoothly and quietly on our way to St.Helena. Our fishing lures are out trolling, a lazy flying fish or two, who knows.

So when you look at the moon again, you now know; if it wasn't for the moon, you would not exist 🐺

See you on the flip side

Paul

Sent from Iridium Mail & Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment