Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sunday Sunny Sunday

At 2am this morning the wind has gradually shifted from SSE to ESE, and we had to gybe our gennaker in order to aim for St.Helena. Yesterday afternoon Thomas baked the first bread on board, and this brought us besides lovely fresh bread with a superb crust, also a few knots of extra wind. We thus voted Thomas as our resident baker. We have just got enough wind to keep us sailing at a reasonable speed, and we should start seeing St.Helena tomorrow morning, and arrive there during the day. Always amazing after many days at see, to watch an island appearing in the distance, and slowly grow bigger. One experiences a sense of excitement, a sense of accomplishment, and a first landfall after getting used to life at sea.

Of course I have many reasons to get excited whenever St.Helena is on the horizon. I have many staunch friends who live on the island, and it is always good to catch up with them. Hear all the latest news, share my latest news, and generally, just take a break from the ocean. But soon we grow restless again, and before you know it, we will be on our way again and watch the island fade in the distance. Nowadays, I buy a local simcard with lots of data, so that I can share some pictures and videos of our journey so far. Also catch up on some business, and bestest to chat to my family and friends on the various social media platforms. Wifi is quite expensive, and slow, £6.5 an hour and you hardly start before your hour is up. I get a simcard and 20G of data for £40, and I can do everything I need and want to do.

Lovely to report a sunny Sunday out here today. Thomas is busy with his second bread with some dough that from yesterday. I just gobbled the last two slices from yesterday. For lunch today sandwiches with pastrami, cheese, lettuce and mayonnaise. Jane and Don are playing cards, and everything and everyone on board is doing great. We could do with a bit more wind, but Thomas is working on it.

A day or so ago, early hours of the morning, I tried to magically conjure up some wind. I visualized a bit of swell rolling in, a bit of a ripple forming on the ocean surface, hear the boat moving faster and faster through the water, but nada. I should perhaps try a bit longer next time. With the moon nearly full, my 2am to 6am watch is mostly moonlit. And wonderful to sit in the moonlight and play some tunes on the ukulele. My uke's name is Sonja Blade 1. She is not an axe, but she can carve the most wonderful melodies out of thin air. And I send these musical notes up into the sky, and hopefully add to the beauty of our world. Similar to the butterfly effect. There is a thinking that the fludder of a butterfly wing sends vibrations into the air and this vibration moves all around the world. Or dropping a pebble in a pond, and watch the ripple effect circling wider and wider.

On this note I am sending you good vibrations from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and with you a stupendously wonder Sunday.

Until tomorrow

Paul



Sent from Iridium Mail & Web.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to read that all is going well and soon you will be on land. All well at home. Much love loving parents and Twiety.

    ReplyDelete