Saturday, June 5, 2010

Getting hot hot hot

We have been motoring for most part of the day and thankfully still
keeping an average of 6.6.Hardly any wind to speak of the sea is
becoming more and more like a big blue lake and the water turning into a
deep sky-blue colour,azure.The stars are out in their full
glory,twinkling their signals to all who behold.No sight of the moon yet
with only a dash of cloud here and there.

No signs of dolphins yet,but come they will,when we are ready to be
blessed by their joyous energy darting left and right in the wake of our
boat.I changed the lure earlier on,late yesterday afternoon and who
knows,today is perhaps the day we land a dorado.Not many flying fish
yet,but in time it will all come to us.

We have up to date travelled about 2140 nms leaving us with around 3760
miles to go.At 6.6 kts it is just over 23 days but we trust that we will
do even better as we move up the coast of South America and then up the
Lesser Antilles before we reach our destination.We are doing all we can
to be back in SA by 1st July and for a most special reason.It will be my
daughter Maryna's 7th birthday and the one day in the year if I have to
single one out that I would love to be with her.The times we spend
together inbetween deliveries is filled with fun,laughter,days at the
beach,school activities and a host of other wonderful moments.It is
always over far to soon and then we start counting the days before we
see each other again.

For breakfast yesterday Malcolm treated us to omelette and bacon and for
supper I served spaghetti bolognaise.It will be Gareth's turn to do supper
and who knows what the young man will pull out of his hat tonight.On our
stern a just less than than half a moon has peeped over the horizon.Our
position at midnight UTC time our position was 13*55'S/012*23'W.Water and
air temperature is 24*C and the barometer is sitting at 1017.We are moving
in a westnorthwesterly direction,our heading at 294*T.We wish you a
pleasant Saturday and hope you experience a little bit of the peace that
is to be had out here.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like the dolphins is getting less . Last year we did not see them as plenty as we use to and this year it seems to be the same. Only one morning I saw three where the seems to me twenty or more. Enjoy the sweet rest and peace. Maybe a fresher breeze is on its way.
    Love and greetings Mom Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,you are not playing the game. You wont believe how jealous I am of my son's choice of career and then I still have to read your fantastic discriptions of the Ocean and life you guys are leading. I intend to resign on monday and catch a flight to Fortaleza and convince you that I am needed as crew.

    Seriously thank you for your daily blog Cheryl and I really look forward to it, its the first thing I look for when I sign on my PC at work.Last night was the annual Junior sailing dinner and I gave the blog address to many of Gareth's friends who I am sure will be reading it with their tonques hanging out.

    Next weekend is the annual J22 regatta where the owners of J22's lend therir boats to promising young sailors around RSA for a regatta at Hartebeespoort dam. It seems like yesterday that Gareth was looking forward to this with plenty of excitment. I have had the privelege this year of telling the juniors who have been invited to represent our club,and the excited look on their faces is very rewarding. Gareth is now to spoilt,I think 22 ft isnt big enough for him any more,dont forget your roots.

    Well Gareth has surprised me with his cooking but from what I know spaghetti bolognaise is about all that he has left,and you did that last night,so lets see what he comes up with,Yes my man the pressures is on. Fortunately you dont have his great grandfather on board who was a wizard with baked beans and bully beef ex RN style.He had my brother & I running for cover whenever he decided to cook. Cheryl is going to add some comments just now and I need to say bibi as my chores are calling.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete