Sunday, June 27, 2010

A young old man,an old young man and a seawulf

And so the time has come to look a bit backward,a bit forward,and just
to look.By pure coincidence I met Malcolm on a flight from Cape Town to
Durban.He occupied the seat next to me at the emergency exit.He was on
his way to Durban to assist another friend of mine,Robbie Dove from
Ocean Sailing Academy in delivering a yacht back to Cape Town.Malcolm
also happened to be paging through a sailing manual which prompted me to
ask him if he sails.He told me little about himself and about the
sailing he's done.I asked him whether he would like to really go
sailing,long distance delivering a yacht to Tortola.He seemed keen and
we exchanged business cards.He was 62 turning 48.

Gareth came highly recommended through Karin at Offshore Sailing Academy
in Durban.I told her I want only the very best and she had no hesitation
in connecting me and Gareth.I received his resume,and although only twenty
years old,he had more sailing experience than most people that sail twice
his age.He was as the Chinese would say the "old man" regardless of
age.The Chinese junkboats were sometimes captained by such able young
men.I don't know why we call these amazing craft junkboats.

And so it came to be that the three of us landed up together.I don't
question the Higher hand that placed the three of us on the same boat or
how it was done,but I know why.In a way we would all shape each other's
future.Malcolm learned a lot about sailing from Gareth,and gareth in turn
learned a lot about standing your man from Malcolm.The one "set" in his
ways and the other making his way,it was interesting to observe these two
and the co-operation between them.They often "teamed" up against
me,forging their bond even stronger and gaining mutual respect.As
Captain,I run a democratic operation,but as the person ultimately
responsible for all of us,I also have ultimate authority.I was often
questioned and rightly so.They would soon learn about the method behind my
madness or sometimes the madness behind my method,whichever you prefer.The
end result was excellent crew dynamics between all of us and maximum
efficiency.Not for a moment did any of us at any time wished for this trip
to be over.

As the fourth or perhaps I should rather say the first member of this
party was Synchronicity,the Leopard 46 we were entrusted to.We would sail
her fast yet gentle,opting for perfect sail trim and balance instead of
just throwing sheer canvass to the wind.We paid attention to her every
need as conditions would dictate,not just sitting and waiting for things
to happen.What a pleasure it was to wash her at St.Maarten earlier on
today.From head to toe,rich foamy boat soap and fresh water was used to
remove any dust or salt residue and she came out shining and strutting her
stuff as only she can,the new Queen Cat of the Caribbean.

We also wish to thank everyone that made this journey possible.Our
families,the incredible team at Tui Marine,the people we met along the way
and most of all we thank you for keeping us in your prayers,your
thoughts,your heart.I will use my ultimate authority to have Malcolm and
Gareth also add their impressions for your enjoyment.It is nearly
midnight,the full moon is overhead and it is time for me to go and howl
some spine chilling,earpiercing cries to the
moon.Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooo
aaaaaaahhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hoog tyd dat jy huistoe kom Paul, Maryna verlang baie erg.

    ReplyDelete