Thursday, February 2, 2012

If I could safe time in a bottle ......

Shaiks ! Yesterday we were hit by a BIG FISH , hooked solidly by our new
configuration. See I spelt this word wrong in yesterdays posting. No
editing, just hit and send. So excuse if a little mistake slips through
here and there. Back to the fish, it snapped our 1500kg breaking strain
line with a bang. There were some choice words that left my mouth, unfit
to publish. Not only because it snapped and got away but also because
the lure was the one that Maryna my daughter handpicked from 100's of
others and it was the one we had all our strikes on. And ofcourse
feeling sorry for the fish that will have to swim with a hook in his
mouth for a few days before it will rust off. And because on our
previous trip on a fast Powercat I devised a method that when the fish
strikes a 30ltr empty water bucket is tied to the line and dragged off
the boat by the fish. A quick tack and chasing the bucket which is
hopping over the water, we had great success like this last time. I
thought going considerably slower we would not need the bucket. I have
never needed it before on a sailing vessel. So yes, back to school it
felt like to me. I have learned something new to up my game and did not
aplly it. Pretty p'd off is the closest I'll get to using strong
language on record. So yes, we have the bucket method back in place and
ready to turn the boat around in a flash to chase after our bucket and
the fish that is dragging it around.

Through the years I have read some very interesting book on Time, and
our perception of it. When I finished matric me and a few friends took
our watches off and placed it under one of the wheels of my fleetline
combi I had those years. Backwards and forwards and backwards again we
voiced our opinion on being slaves to time. Since then I have never worn
a watch again, being a rebel at heart.James Dean was perhaps a rebel
without a cause, I was a rebel without a clue. There are many other
sources where we can get the time from, and nowadays my cellphone also
tells me what the time is. I have never been late for any appointment
and it was one of the reasons I got the job when I was contracting doing
renovations and building.

We have been conditioned to think time is linear, or runs in a
horizontal line. You are born, you go to school, you work most of your
life, you go on pension and you die. Nice, easy, no questions asked, you
have served your duty to humanity, but mostly to industry. I wonder who
decided that one's date of birth must be recorded and that exactly one
year later you celebrate your first birthday. The Romans devised the 12
month calendar and they were certainly slave masters as their empire
expanded. Born in a leap year on the 29th of February as in 2012, you
will only celebrate your birthday every four years, perhaps a secret to
staying younger much longer, 4 to 1. So we sliced up periods of time
into ever smaller sections so we could get some control over it, or try
to at least. I wonder how the bushmen kept record of time or were they
perhaps just aware of the seasons that come and go. Their works of art
remain timeless and the sacredness with which they viewed everything
around them, including themselves, were faultless. So much we can learn
from these small hunters and artists.

Back to time and our perception of it. Is there perhaps another way to
look at time, in a more vertical manner. Get a peep at all the possible
dimensions. Einstein escaped this timetrap most of us are caught in and
developed the theory of relativity. Would time exist if there was no-one
to keep track of time, in the way we understand time? Is time the way we
understand it an illusion? And why would it be important for us to try
and break free from this illusion. Simple really, part of us is
immortal, but the way we view time we forget about that. We talk about
and have all types of memories about back in the day. The future we fret
about, but the most important, the very moment, is all we really have.
But who of us can savour the moment. If you had no baggage from the past
and no future to worry about, and only the moment to experience,
wouldn't that be something. Perhaps we can look at it in another way. If
you suffer from some incurable disease and the doctors give you six
months to live, how would that affect you. What would then become
important, vital. Would every sunrise and sunset just be another day
gone by, or would it take on a whole new meaning. Special, sacred,
unforgettable. What would you spend your time on, watching TV? I know I
wouldn't, I would savour every single moment as if it was my last. And
in reality today is all we have. Tomorrow you may be dead and gone.

Our current position @ 11:00 UTC - 1 is 06*18'S/023*49'W. Fortaleza,
Brazil is 888.8nm away and Tahiti about 8400nm's. Hope you have a day
with at at least one unforgettable moment.

Captain Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment