Saturday, February 18, 2012

She's like a rainbow

Ahead of us St.Lucia is about 60nm away and about 8 hours to go at our
current speed. Just looked in that direction and a few beautiful
rainbows is colouring the morning skies. I have seen the moist beautiful
rainbows, three over each other between the pytons of St.Lucia, with a
small yacht below. The famous pytons are two rock formations, cone
shaped,and taking a wild guess I would say at least 300m high. I have
also once seen a triple greenflash in this area. A greenflash is when
the sun just dips below the horizon and the last visible colour of the
light spectrum, green, flashes. Going up and down a swell it had the
effect of three green flashes. Conditions need to be absolute clear for
this phenomenon to occur, no clouds on the horizon. There is truly a
magical quality about the place. Legends like Eric Clapton and Mick
Jagger also has their hide-aways here. Earlier on in this trip I had a
dream and in the dream I was in St.Lucia and I heard a song. Some of the
words went like this, in Carib style music :- If I was a fishamon I
would be fishing in St.Lucia mon, if I was a barmon, I would be barring
in St.Lucia mon, if I was a capitan I would be cappin in St.Lucia mon.
What gives you the idea I just love the place? Anyways, we hope to get
to Marigot Bay before sunset and soak in all the beauty on the way in.

Last night we passed Barbados on our starboard side, and on my watch we
once again had a visitation from dolphins, this time in the midnight
hours. The water is full of bioluminescence and their body profiles
could be clear seen as they streaked through the water. Nick was also
witness to this amazing event, being a night owl and all. We still
didn't catch a fish and to add insult to injury, Eduan spotted a school
of nice sized fish swimming next to the boat at about 3pm. We all came
out to look at this crazy spectacle. Our lure trolling only 20 mtrs
behind did not interest them at all. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

A short nautical term is 'So-long' A seaman's farewell,from the East
Indian word 'salaam'. Common in shore-side use, but originally nautical.
And so we say so-long to the Atlantic as we are about to enter the
Caribbean Sea. She has been kind to us, the Atlantic, and carried us
here safely. Wishing you a weekend and a half.

Captain Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment