Monday, February 13, 2012

Riders on the Storm

Last night when the squalls started at about 9 it just kept on coming
and coming, relentlessly pounding us with strong winds and rain. Not
much sleep for me as we are being pushed closer and closer to land and
had to fight hard to stay on our chosen course. We are 150nm northeast
of the Amazon rivermouth and the term rainforest comes to mind. Lush
green jungle with surprises lurking everywhere. Should we turn our tail
to the wind we will be there in no time at all. But not today, instead
we are beating hard into the wind to stay off the shallows of the
rivermouth and on the deeper side of the continental shelf.

One of my previous crewmembers once told me that a piranha fish can
devour a whole cow in under a minute. We had a rendezvous out here with
a friend of mine under much calmer conditions, tied our boats with 30m
rope and swam around in the gingerbeer coloured water when this bit of
information was shared with me. We were also celebrating my friend's
birthday and the shocked expression on my face when I heard about the
piranha devouring a cow chop chop gave my game away. I have seen piranha
fish in a tank before and using my hands to indicate the size of a
piranha and the unbelievable metabolism it must have to eat a cow so
quick said it all. When I was informed that a school of piranha fish
can do this I was still amazed but accepted the fact, but swallowed hard
on a single piranha.

Makes me think of another crewmember who was looking at a ship in the
distance in the broad daylight through the binoculars and informed me
that he can't figure out which direction the ship is going as his
navlights were off. He was serious as was I when I told him navlights
are only really visible at night and no ship should have navlights on
during the day. We all had a good laugh when it dawned on my friend.

Yesterday Eduan tried his hand at baking bread, and I don't know if it
was beginner's luck or whether he is a natural, but it was a resounding
success. One of the best breads I've ever had the pleasure to partake of
on the ocean. Can't even give him 10/10, he is way off the scoreboard,
in another league completely. It was also his turn to do supper and the
bread came out of the oven an hour before supper. No ways we could
stop ourselves not to have a slice or two of hot bread before supper,
even though it spoiled our appetites a bit. Despite that we enjoyed
supper very much as usual, just that we all ate too much. But better to
go into a storm on a full tummy.

As circumstances dictates the boys are learning more and more about the
practical aspects of sailing. A guiding principle is that if you are
using brute force to do something you are doing it wrong. With respect
to the ladies, nothing we can do that you can't in regards to sailing a
yacht. On of my fellow delivery skippers, Kirsten is a lady whom I have
the highest possible respect for. I also have a suspicion that she will
outsail me on a one to one basis, and knowing your strenghts is also
knowing your weaknesses. Dame Ellen McArthur is another example of an
awseome lady sailor, world record holder of solo around the world. I
have also met Dee Caspari when in the Seychelles. She made a reputation
for herelf by sailing solo around the world twice, first time the right
way round and second time the wrong way round. Really humble down to
earth people whom I have all the time in the world for. The ocean is the
greatest equalizer I know. If you think you are bigger and stronger than
her, she will take you down.

An interesting nautical term is 'Hi-Jack'. The harlot's call to the
sailor 'Hi-Jack'. It acquired its more sinister meaning when after their
first embrace she hit him with a lead-filled handbag - or alternatively
lured him into a boarding house from where he would be dragged the next
morning in vest and socks to be sold to a ship in need of crew. This
practise was prevalent along California's notorious Barbary Coast where
ships, emptied of crew by the call of the goldrush, were desperate and
prepared to support such intrigues. It became known as 'shanghai-ing',
probably because many of the ships were employed in the China trade.
Sometimes the tables were turned, seamen did occasionally drag boarding
house operators off to sea, others took the girls. So yes, don't ever
underestimate anyone or anything.

Our position at 9am our time, UTC-3, or 2pm SA time is 03*21'N/048*00'W.
We are 1000nm from St.Lucia and at an average of 7kts we should arrive
there at 9am on Sunday morning. We are going somewhat faster so all good
for an early arrival.

Take care and enjoy the week ahead.

Captain Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment