Saturday, February 26, 2011

To the boatwash

Last night we had our first taste of substantial windshifts in a short
period of time,accompanied by rain.It showed where as a team we had room
for improvement,a gentle introduction to squalls and how to deal with
them.It also caused us to drop the mainsail and use the genoa and motor
to make the most of whatever angle the wind was coming from.

This morning my shift started at 6 and as the day was starting to loom
in the background,the wind also settled in a SSE direction.Often,just
for the challenge of it,I decided to get both sails up again.I always
think in term of solo sailors when I am in this frame of mind.Started
both motors,furled in the genoa,turned into the wind,switched the
autopilot to windvane mode and upped the rudder response to
max.Ideally,you want the wind straight ahead when you raise the
main.

Once I was happy that we were pointing and staying that way into the
wind,I released the main sheet,went to the foredeck and in no time at
all had the main up,2nd reef.I slowly turned the boat around using the
windvane mode.From there it was easy to track the mainsail all the way
to port,and slacked the mainsheet until we were just touching the
shroud.Tightened a gybe preventer to keep the main just off the shroud.

Then I furled out the genoa and got the wind from right behind,pulled
the genoa also down with a gybe preventer and soon we were sailing
again,no motor.Pure bliss.If the above sounds very technical,sure it
is.Sometimes sailing is like that.The secret is to visualize the whole
operation,anticipate any problems,and once you are sure what you going
to do,just do it.

If you think I am blowing my own horn,you are wrong.Just pointing out
that it can be done.It helps when you have sailed a few times around the
globe as well,experience counts for a lot on the
ocean.Yet,caution,respect and at one with the elements around you keeps
you alive.You get old sailors and you get brave sailors.There are not
brave old sailors.All of us who sail the seas have been humbled when the
sea gets big and stormy.Been to the edge a few times,so never will I
shout bring it on.I just ask for grace to deal with whatever the ocean
throws at me.And if she decides to take me down one fine day,I will go
down having tried my utmost to stay afloat.

We are less than 90 nm from Ascension Island and it looks like we might
pass by in the night.Perhaps early tomorrow morning,that would be
awesome.Last night we also had what I think a floating tuna factory
coming past.Pieter told me that he thinks he sees a lighthouse.It was a
searchlight on the vessel turning around in the sky.Not only were we 160
nm from Ascension,there are also no lighthouse on the island.On my watch
the vessel came past us,within ten miles and one could clearly see the
workings through the binoculars.Our position at AM 10:00 UTC
08*52'S/13*01'W.

Pieter's turn to prepare supper tonight,I untangled and let the fishing
lure out again as the moon is right above us,hoping for a dorado.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment