Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Up and running

It is the third day since we departed from Cape Town.The first two days
we had slight headwinds allowing us to sail either west or north.The
first day we opted to head more north as it gave us a better VMG.15
miles west of Saldanha we found some current and the wind also started
to back more towards west as expected.Yesterday the wind settled at SW
and we could sail on a beam reach straight for St.Helena.This morning
the wind has backed to south south east and we are at last on a run.It
is interesting to see how the direction of the swell changes before the
wind reaches you,hours in advance.It is then a young sea,not settled and
a bit bouncy with light winds as the direction shifts.Once it settles
you start building momentum and the wind follows suit.We are once again
sailing with twin headsails and although heavily loaded we are in the
sixes with 10 kts of apparent wind from behind.The swell is starting to
build up in the direction of the wind and current and starting to surf a
little here and there.with the sun shining,scattered clouds and a soft
blue sea the stage is set for a few days of pure bliss.

Crewmember Pieter du Preez is slowly starting to grow sealegs,a beard
and it his turn to prepare supper tonight.Lambchops and butternut baked
in the oven.Salivating just at the thought of it.Tomorrow I will bake
some muffins,capucinno ones perhaps for breakfast.Brad is settling in
nicely as well,Bradley James Cannon for the record.

We have a lure out behind the boat and who knows,soon I can invite you
over for some sushimi like you've never tasted before and a setting you
can only dream of,or not.It is your choice.

Last night I was on the 9 to midnight watch and helming was divine.With
the evening star and the sickle moon on the horizon to aim for,I
remembered once again why I love sailing so much.My daughter reckons the
only problem with daddy's job is that he has no problems.She is seven
and has crossed and ocean,7700nm from Cape Town to Belize.So who will
refute her wisdom.My lovely wife and I have learned to weather the
storms a bit better,storm tactics if you will.I see the storm coming and
deal with it calmly,even though a storm might be brewing inside of
me.After the storm we get back on track and get some miles behind
us.Can't remember a crossing I've done without a few storms,some worse
than others,but storms none the less.

It is nearly time for me to start my 6 to 9 pm watch so time for me to
sign off.Wishing you all the best and looking immensily forward to
having you aboard for a while.

Paul

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment